user 'freedom' (was RE: [thelist] Site check: Staples.com)

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Tue Sep 20 22:42:26 CDT 2005

Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 17:09 -0700, Anthony Ettinger wrote:
>

>> From your source above:
>>
>> Linux
>>

> For future reference, it's GNU/Linux. (And yes I realize you didn't
> write the original article.)
For future reference, this is Richard Stallman's assertion of his
opinion on what it should be called. Not established, immutable fact.
There are many, many other contributors to the Linux project, none of
whom are demanding/attempting to co-opt ownership of the name to further
/their/ cause. As you said, he has nothing to do with the open source
movement. And the terms under which Linux is released is most certainly
not GPL. Certain elements, yes.

Robert