[thelist] Site check: Staples.com

Juha Suni juha.suni at ilmiantajat.fi
Wed Sep 21 06:21:04 CDT 2005

Anthony Ettinger wrote:
> When I disabled javascript, I got the blank page in
> FF.

Indeed. IMHO this is the core point. Disabling Javascript in FF will result
in a blank page. In other words the site is completely and critically
dependant on Javascript functionality.

I find it absolutely too weird to be telling anyone on thelist about how
idiotic that is. Everyone here should know it.

The conversation about the reasons and effects of this defect is
interesting. Discussing if the site has a problem or not, however, is
pointless. Depending solely on Javascript functionality to such a high
degree is a major _do not_, and is one of the first things told to any new
web developer. There is a major flaw.

Anyone is free to defend javascript-dependant critical website
functionality, but I'd advice against it. You might vouch for frames, table
based layouts and IE-only designs while you're at it.

--
Terveisin, Best Regards
Juha Suni

mainostoimisto