[thelist] Site check: Staples.com

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Wed Sep 21 06:24:45 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 10:44 +0100, Ian Anderson wrote:
> Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
>
> > Robert Gormley wrote:
> >>It's now inappropriate to publish any closed proprietary format material
> >>on the web?
> >
> > I would say for the majority of cases, it always has been.
>
> Sorry, but this is just tosh. Have you never read "Weaving the Web" by
> Tim Berners-Lee?
>
> The whole point of the web was the URI - a resource identifier for any
> entity, which could be a word doc, PDF, database, movie, sound file or
> html page. You can publish anything that is appropriate to the audience.

Yes, and that audience is a worldwide audience which could be using any
number of devices (some of which bear only a passing resemblance to what
you and I call a "PC").

> It's not in question that there are accessibility issues involved, and
> that it would be good practice to supply material in various formats
> where relevant, but to issue such blanket condemnation of proprietary,
> standard formats is just wrong-headed, in my view.

You've never used something besides a PC running Microsoft Windows to
access the Web, then.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>