[thelist] Wireless security

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 14:23:13 CDT 2005

> Yeah I sent up a friends wireless access point, and then secured it to
> their MAC addresses only.  When I connected with one of their
> computers their were at least 8 other wireless networks in the
> neighborhood, all unsecure, 5 probably had their default password
> still on the system.  too funny, too scary.

The MAC address thing seems to give certain security. I can't imagine
how anyone might be able to hack past that, which makes me wonder
about all the other things to do too. But I'm sure there's a very good
reason, and people cleverer than I who absolutely could break through.

Anyway, I'm not protecting the crown jewels so all's well.

Cheers