[thelist] Wireless Mac questions

Jono jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com
Wed Sep 21 21:36:52 CDT 2005

On 9/19/05 11:03 AM, "john at johnallsopp.co.uk" <john at johnallsopp.co.uk>
wrote:

> Anyway, I'm going to recommend they talk to that person and try to get
> permission so that they can share the cost of the connection and do it
> legitimately.
>
> So then the problem turns into that they haven't got a strong enough
> signal. Is there a way of boosting the aerial on a mac laptop?

In the June 2005 issue of MacAddict, there is an article one "How to Boost
Your Airport Range with a Pringles Can"  It is pretty simple, and claims
allow you to "pinch free Internet access from neighbor's networks..."  The
disk that came with the June2005 issue

I never used to lock down my airport - with 6mmps I can share a bit - but
recently I decided to lock it down because I now have a Dell (for testing,
really just a $200 version if Internet Explorer) on my network, and it's
crap enough with out somebody tampering with it.

Have a look here for the Pringles can solution:
http://www.cantenna.com/

Here for ways to build a "Deep Dish Cylindrical Parabolic Template":
http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/
--> claims to be better than the Pringles "solution"

Also, ask your neighbor first...of course.  Between the two of you, you
might actually be able to improve you bandwidth, and share the cost...might
be able to.

Have fun.