[thelist] wordpress - mysql - no clue

BJ bj at kickasswebdesign.com
Thu Sep 22 16:22:08 CDT 2005

Noah said:
The first step is to set the database up at 1&1. You don't need any
tables in the database, just an empty database. You'll also need your
MySQL username and password for accessing the database. So, for example:

Database: "myblog"
Username: "dwain"
Password: "password"*

(* You probably know not to use "password" as your password, but just in
case you don't, don't use "password" as your password.)

You may be able to do this through your admin panel at 1&1, or you might
need to contact them. In any case, once that's done, set up WordPress as
follows: <snippety>

Noah, you left out a step that could have Dwain bald in no time flat- create database, create user, then ADD USER TO DATABASE. If you don't do this last step then the WP install chokes since it can't access the database.

--
Ciao for Now,
bj

http://kickasswebdesign.com
devblog: http://kickasswebdesign.com/wordpress/
Kickass WebGeek Resources: http://kickasswebdesign.com/webgeekdir/

"Other than telling us how to live, think, marry, pray, vote, invest, educate
our children-and now, die - I think the Republicans have done a fine job of
getting government out of our personal lives." -- From the "Short and Sweet" column in the Portland Oregonian.

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound says I'm squeaky clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0538-6, 09/21/2005
Tested on: 9/22/2005 5:22:10 PM