[thelist] Blog Submitter Pro - useful tool or annoying spam?

Sales @ Lycosa sales at lycosa.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 18:29:49 CDT 2005

I have to say that I feel rather ashamed of myself. I got an email from
a free marketing site I subscribed to promoting Blog Submitter Pro. I
have to admit to having had a couple of beers, and wasn't thinking
rationally.

So I bought it (cost me a little under £100), and set it to work on
automatically submitting blog messages to as many blogs as it could. It
was only after Norton antivirus started popping up all the time
insisting I do a full scan, and started getting adware popups and Trojan
messages and incessant background music...

... I decided to do a little Googling on the subject. Most frowned upon
it as spam generation, others hailed it as the new sliced bread. So I
took a measured approach, and ensured that I didn't go over the 7 days
distance selling cooling off period before asking for my money back.

I was concerned that people seeing the messages left in their blogs from
me would become angry and flame me or worse. So I put my own message in
telling them that this was a trial and I wanted to know if it annoyed
them, and to tell me so in my blog. I would stop using it and ask for
refund if was apparent that it annoyed people.

I did ask for my money back after 3 days, and got it in a timely manner.
So that was good. The main reasons I decided to stop using it was - 1) I
got fed up with the virus problems 2) felt uncomfortable with what was
essentially a black hat promotion method and 3) my link popularity
plummeted from 2000+ to 750 or so (it's back up to 2000+ again now).

I would be interested to hear other views on this.

I posted a message on my own blog about it, if you want to add comments
to it: http://www.lycosa.co.uk/blog.htm

Phil Parker

Lycosa Web Services Ltd
Email: sales at lycosa.co.uk