[thelist] Blog Submitter Pro - useful tool or annoying spam?

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 04:28:59 CDT 2005

> > Comment spamming is not really something that is
> > recommended you do. Any of those "submit it pro"
> > packages for $99.95 is crap anyway.
>
> Yes, quite agree. There are two things that occur to me about this:
>
> 1. Comment spam is one of the saddest things to happen to the web in a
> while - it really attacks the community aspect of personal publishing. I
> think it's actually worse than email spam because it's vandalising the
> web site in question, and many people are affected by the consequences.

I think an even sicker way of advertising is in signatures on boards
and lists and I just gleefully realised that
http://www.sigtraders.com/ seems to be dead. Good riddance!
Oh yeah, how about AdSense in your posts?

> 2. There is becoming little point in the technique for SEO because
> increasing numbers of blog packages and page authors implement various
> techniques to prevent the links from bestowing PageRank on the spammed URLs.
>
> e.g. putting the attribute rel="nofollow" on link tags
>
> (c.f. http://www.google.com/webmasters/bot.html tip 14)

That is if you configure it that way. A lot of people actually
deactivate that or SEO companies set up blogs for linking. I am right
now in clinch with an SEO consultant for a client and I will write
some of the stuff I had to deal with down soon. The whole thing about
ethical SEO is a big load of *insertexpletiveofchoice*.

I even experienced people submit pages on HTML/CSS/JS forums and lists
allegedly asking for a review just to get some more hits. Things like
that really make me wonder why we bother and just not hold on to our
knowledge and sell it for £££ as consultants.

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com