[thelist] Weird Apache Behaviour

Tony Grimes lists at tonygrimes.com
Tue Sep 27 14:32:48 CDT 2005

Apache started acting a little weird a couple months ago. If I try to access
a non-existent directory through the browser, it returns a file of the same
name (if one exists in the main directory).

For example, try accessing this non-existent directory:

http://www.ppdm.org/contact/

And apache returns this page:

http://www.ppdm.org/contact.html

It doesn't matter what you add after the slash, it still returns
contact.html:

http://www.ppdm.org/contact/blah/blah/fake_file.html

Does anyone know what's going on? Since the main navigation links are using
relative hrefs, Googlebot is getting stuck in infinite loops (i.e.
/contact/contact/contact/etc). The other sites on the server don't have this
problem, so it must be a local configuration problem.

Any ideas? I checked httpd.conf and couldn't find anything out of the
ordinary.

TIA

Tony