[thelist] Opinions and Comments on Browser Embedded WYSIWYG Editors (WAS Aren't we forgetting a user group in our CSS? Idea:EditorStylesheet)

Mark Howells webdev at mountain.ch
Wed Sep 28 04:19:31 CDT 2005

> So people will be happy with the WYSIWYG editors that work in
> mozilla-based browsers and IE (which make up about 96-99% of my
> incoming web traffic)
> Will I be happy? Certainly not. But that's me and just me.

It's good that you recognize that and develop for your audience, rather
than for yourself.

> I know that we cannot support every single browser on earth. But,
> imho, at least equal opportunuties should be given to all the browsers
> that fully support DOM.

True: I personally try and code for the DOM browsers and then build in
workarounds - if strictly necessary - for the remaining browsers. That
makes the development time much shorter and the work, in the main, a
lot easier.

> Anyway, here is my first DOM TextEditor prototype:
> http://www.sarmal.com/sardalya/testcase/TextEditor_Test.html

Nice idea and the concept is good. Works OK for a development version
in Safari on Mac, though there are bugs, and I like the idea of it
working so well and easily for non-tech savvy users.  The only thing
I'd question is how you define each block of content, and how do you
select a block of text to be edited? For example, if I wanted to make
the whole of the last paragraph bold, can I select the whole of the
grey box and it's sub-elements, and apply the style in one click?  (An
aside: you might want to use checkboxes instead of radio buttons, so
that the selection for bold, italicized or normal text can be
deselected again.)

Regards
Mark Howells
Photography and Multimedia