[thelist] Apache: SSL and Virtual hosts

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Wed Sep 28 19:38:57 CDT 2005

Frank wrote:

> I've finally suceeded in getting SSL to work on my testing machine
> thanks to the following article:
>
> http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=4315
>
> -- and of course it wasn't until I had it working that  I rememberd that
> <frank smacks his forhead> SSL is dependent on an IP!   There's no
> per-virtual-host method of doing SSL.
>
> Well, I want to anyway, and I'm wondering if anyone could offer me any
> interesting work arounds. At the very least I'd be happy if I could
> assign it to one single virtual host. Ideas anyone?
>

> Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.

Frank,

There's a solution for you, in particular, because you'll settle for a
single supported host: within the ssl.conf file, have everything (host
name, certificate, doc root) refer to the one host for which you want
ssl support.

In general, ssl won't cooperate in a virtual host environment because
the encryption certificate has to be chosen (for the target host) and
encryption started before the client has a chance to send the HOST:
header.  Your browser will then notice the server is using a certificate
from a host other than the one you asked for, and pop up a security
warning.  Even the 'www.' prefix has to be present or not exactly as the
encryption certificate says.

Apache has a faq section on this very issue:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html#vhosts

Sorry to dash your hopes.... (Of course, if the apache docs are wrong,
and someone does have a work-around, I'd love to hear it, too.)

Phil