[thelist] Is this a list?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Thu Sep 29 00:15:10 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 07:48 -0700, Canfield, Joel wrote:
  [Ian Anderson, unattributed by Joel in his reply, wrote:]
> > All web sites need to be accessible.
>
> No they don't. All websites which could conceivably ever be accessed by
> anyone with a disability need to be accessible.

And rarely, if ever, does the Web site author/designer know which sites
these are.

Inaccessibility blows up in your face when you least expect it. Those
sites with stupid pixel font GIFs for text may well not be readable or
usable by the people that made them after a decade of squinting.

> If I build a website for myself, say, a blog where I jot notes to me,
> for my own personal use, which I never intend to be used by anyone
> else for any reason, does *not* have to be accessible to anyone but
> me.

That, however, isn't really a Web site, in fact, if I read you right, it
isn't something that even *should* be visible to anyone that can stumble
across your open port 80, in fact, it should be accessible to exactly
one user (you) after passing HTTP authentication.

Keeping notes for yourself in HTML is one thing. Making World Wide Web
sites is another entirely.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>