[thelist] Apache: SSL and Virtual hosts

Alan Stevens alan at rayya.net
Thu Sep 29 07:03:13 CDT 2005

Jan Brasna wrote:
>> Only option seems to be getting more IP-addresses for the server.
>>
>> Correct me if there is another way to have SSL on for several domains
>> (with their own correct certificates) sitting on the same server.

An SSL is tied to a specific IP, so you will need to have an exclusive
IP for each site you want a certificate for. We have servers with
hundreds of domains, each with their own SSL cert, but each one has to
have its own IP address.

I hope I am not being too introductory, and I apologize if I am, but
have you considered a shared certificate on the root ip? Lots of hosting
companies do that as a service to their clients. The secure pages won't
have the same domain name as your virtual domains, but in my experience
customers are used to that (think paypal and 2checkout.com) and it
shouldn't have a significant impact on your conversion rates.

For example, your virtual site might be http://www.myvirtualshop.com,
but the shopping cart checkout runs through
https://secure.myrootserver.com/~myvirtualshop/checkout. That would
solve your problem if you don't want to buy more IP's for your servers.
Hope this helps!