[thelist] url question...

Chris at globet.com Chris at globet.com
Thu Sep 29 11:49:58 CDT 2005

[..]

> > > (there are about 80 or so) is dynamically
> > populated
> > > from the database with a
> > > url like
> http://www.xxxxxxx.com.au/view_distributor.php?id=14&ajwilson
> > >
> > > What the client wants is something like...
> > http://www.xxxxxxx.com.au/distributors/ajwilson.php

[..]

> > Hi. I am not sure what setting a cookie would do (I guess
> we could but
> > not an option I would prefer), but they want it just for
> promotional
> > purposes...
> > each of the distributors has a tidy looking url they can promote.
>
> Well, you set a cookie with the session id, instead of
> passing it in the urls.

In IIS it would be possible to write a custom 404 error page that
analyses the requested URI and then redirects to the desired page. Thus,
the organisation could give Foobar Associates the URI
http://www.xxxxxxx.com.au/distributors/foobarassociates.php to
disseminate. This page would not actually exist, so the 404 error page
would be called. The script on this page would then redirect to
http://www.xxxxxxx.com.au/view_distributor.php?id=22&fbassoc - the
correct page. I'm not sure that this is wholly desireable, as this would
pollute the server logs. I don't know offhand of another easy way to do
this, but I have a vague memory that Apache has a much more elegant way
to do this. I could not say how this affects search engine rankings, but
the original post suggested that it was more an issue of giving the
distributors a friendly URL than optimising for search engines.

HTH

Chris Marsh
Web Developer
http://www.globet.com/
Tel: +44 20 8246 4804 Ext 828
Fax: +44 20 8246 4808

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not
necessarily the Company. This message is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information that is confidential and privileged and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not
If you have received this communication in error, please contact the
sender immediately and delete it from your system. Chris Marsh