[thelist] program management software?

Casey aspnet at thecrookstons.com
Mon Oct 3 20:25:18 CDT 2005

> I suppose Casey needs to list his requirements.

Right.  Good point.

For several years now I have been subcontracting as a designer and developer for a very small, one man shop.  The owner has recently expressed an interest in hiring a project manager.  Keep in mind that the projects we are talking about usually have a total of 3 or 4 people working on small projects and 6 or 7 on the larger ones, so they are by no means enterprise level. (Worked as a PeopleSoft developer for two years in a mammoth company of several hundred people in the IT department alone - we are not talking anywhere near that level). But, we do do a fair amount of web based application development, usually for small to medium companies with anywhere from 3 to 50 employees.

What I had in mind:
  a.. Create and document the project's initial scope.
  b.. Create a flow-chart that outlines the logic flow of the application.
    a.. The idea here is to have the client sign-off on the flow chart to prevent scope creep
    b.. This flow chart should also be such that it can be handed off to a developer who can create the application with little or no other guidelines
  c.. Ability to break down the flowchart into specific tasks or objects and assign them to team members (workflow)
  d.. Allow team members to document progress and others to view the documentation
  e.. Develop bids
  f.. Track hours
  g.. Document management (nice, but not required)
  h.. Help desk - create tickets, assign them to team members, document progress, etc.  (nice, but not required)
I have a hunch that MS Project would be like killing a gnat with a canon, but I'm open to input.

Thanks.