[thelist] program management software?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Oct 4 14:39:08 CDT 2005

Ken Schaefer noted:

>>There is some kind of standard certification out there
>>(called PMP if I recall correctly).

Hi Ken,

Neat. I hadn't heard it called that!  A quick glance suggests that the
Project Management Institute (PMI) may be the folks calling this
certification PMP.  I'm not familiar with them.

It used to be called "CPM" for Certified Project Manager.  It may still
be known under than acronym in a lot of other places.

>>I assume there are various courses and books geared towards
>>that certification.

Any local university should have classes on project management - even if
not explicitly geared towards certification.  Some may offer program
management as well as project management. [I think in today's newspeak
this deals with managing a 'portfolio' of projects and a lot of
comparative ROI calculations. From the little of it I've seen it seems
to involve similar skills - but pay better.]

Anyone interested can also look to professional associations such as
APICS, SME, and INFORMS (apparently the 'new' name for ORSA/TIMS - it's
been a while since I've been over there to look around):
http://www.informs.org/CE/subject_sort.html

HTH,

RonL.