[thelist] Is this a list?

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Tue Oct 4 15:09:32 CDT 2005

   Why the %#@!  am I still getting fifteen mails a day titled "Is this a list?", a week after the original thread was spawned?  If they're all as off-topic as this one, then I know I've done the right thing by mass-deleting all of them.

   At the very least, PLEASE change the subject line.  I'm sure by now people have decided for themselves whether or not this is, in fact, a list.

 From: "Shawn K. Quinn" skquinn at speakeasy.net

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 08:36 -0500, Luther, Ron wrote:
> Personally, I don't give a crap if you call it "Lih-nux", "Line-ux", or
> "Lean-'ooks". However, you're constant carping about it, IMO, lowers
> the signal to noise ratio here and adds no value for me whatsoever.

You would care about it if you developed most of a Web site, and then
someone just came along, made two small changes for it, and then took
credit for the entire thing. This is really no different.

Do you realize how much code Dr. Richard Stallman wrote compared to the
tiny bit that Linus Torvalds did? Why does nobody want to give Dr.
Stallman and his free software (note, NOT open source) movement proper
credit for over two decades of hard work?

> a number of years ago Acura produced a very successful model known as
> the 'Legend'. They don't make that model anymore. Know why? Cuz the
> execs were annoyed that everyone called it the 'Legend' and not the
> 'ACURA Legend' and, although it was successful, it didn't promote
> brand recognition.

The Acura execs you refer to made a reasonable business decision, if
brand recognition was their goal. Maybe not quite the same one I would
have made, but there are questions in the world that have no one right
answer, and I guess there's a reason I'm not on the board of directors
at Honda (owners of the Acura label).

>From the sound of it, you don't feel like you can learn anything from
what I've written so far. I think that's unfortunate, as I learn what I
can from everyone.

> You wanna build a reputation here? Fine. Help others.

The underlying lesson of giving credit where credit is due, *is* helping
others. Why can't you see that?

Shawn K. Quinn