[thelist] What does standard compliance actually mean?

Jonathan j at firebright.com
Wed Oct 5 13:36:53 CDT 2005

Andreas Wahlin wrote:
> To many, standard compliance seem to mean stuff like "semantic web"
> and sometimes even "unobtrusive scripting/graceful degradation". But
> doesen't standard compliance just mean that you follow your declared
> doctype and validate against the w3c validator, not that I automaticly
> write insanely great webpages (from a code view)?
This is a word of the law / spirit of the law debate.  The bottom line,
as with all technology, is that you can use it for good or evil, and
that standards compliance fit both definitions you just presented.  And
all technologies that have standardization efforts almost always will,
because technologies that require standardization debate require it
because they have a tendency to be otherwise.

You're probably wearing socks.  Is there an international standards
organization for socks?  Probably not.  Are there "industry standard
practices" including dimensional standards?  Yea, well, I imagine so.
Socks follow feet, so therefore you don't need to spend a lot of time
building standards to support them.

Web standards has no feet. ;-)  The term exists to support an effort to
define standardized ways of approaching communication technology to
accomplish some clear goals - lower costs, easier maintenance, better
accessibility, etc.  But there isn't one problem that needs to be
solved.  It's an exercise in complexity management done in order to
solve specific problems and achieve specific goals.

The reason for the validator is to provide a baseline tool to help
developers understand how far they are outside of agreed upon standards
(bearing in mind the reason for the standards is just stated).
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you talks
about WHY it's important.  Bear in mind that validation isn't a be-all,
end-all.  Some very well known developers have intentionally broken
their pages in an effort.  I would strongly suggest reviewing
(http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2004/06/march-to-your-own-standard)
Mike's discussion on why his site doesn't validate.

So, the question you really need to ask yourself, which is far outside
the scope of the question you asked, is, "Is validating against the w3c
validator going to provide enough assurance to solve these problems?"
and "What provides the best value in the long term to my audience,
client if you have one, and overall design goals?"  I'm not going to get
into one of those debates about standards here -- because basically
they're almost always pretty retarded lines of reasoning.  Part of the
insanity of being a web developer / engineer is actually balancing these
competing influences and "making the call" based on unique situation
you're in.

If you want to follow just the word of the law, then yep, validating is
enough.  If you want to follow the spirit of the law, well than that's
something else -- and you'll have to define just what that means on your
own.  There is no "one answer" to your question.

Jonathan