[thelist] OT - How to work freelance on a global scale.

Asif Suria asifsuria at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 11:53:24 CDT 2005

If you plan to start your own business in order to
spend more time "innovating" and maintianing a
flexible schedule, one of the biggest obstacles you
are going to face (especially if you do it solo) has
to do with spending time doing mundane and often
important business tasks.

You will have to market your services, network with
existing and potential clients, invoice clients,
collect payments, balance your books and file
quarterly taxes (if you live in the US). You will also
have to spend time to stay current with technology or
changes in your field on your own dime. So your hourly
rate has to be high enough to cover the costs
associated with all these activities. If you hourly
rate is going to be that high, then you need to have
some sort of highly specialized skill in a growing
field.

Given your objective, another approach to starting
your own business could be to find a job in a company
that has a flexible corporate culture. Folks in most
Silicon Valley companies do not wear ties and have
flexible working hours. Start-ups are known to foster
innovators (especially the ones that have enough
funding). Google allows its employees to spend time
every week on "pet projects".

I hope this helps.

Asif
http://www.sinletter.com