[thelist] OT - How to work freelance on a global scale.

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Mon Oct 24 13:06:46 CDT 2005

Another hello from Barcelona :-)

I quit corporate working in London three years ago and moved here to
freelance. Best move in my life.

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK scribeva in 2005-10-24 07:31:
> but my salary gives me an adequte living standard)
> Though I will be psychologically better off if I work for my own: I

My income collapsed and quality of life rocketed. YMMV.

> hate wearing ties. I hate tying ties :)

Me too. Then again, my employer was amazingly liberal with regards to
applying dress code to me :-)

> I don't like working from 9am
> to 6pm five days on a regular basis.

I hated that too. But now I've come to learn, that I must force myself
fairly strict work routine/schedule - otherwise there's just too much
all sorts of interesting things to do.... Again YMMV.

> I don't like being routine (If you've grasped the air of corporate
> culture you know what I mean).

Even though I mentioned above strict routine, I can of course make
exceptions to those without having to ask permission...

> I want to research, apply new (and sometimes dangerous things),

I love that too!! (And scuba diving and riding a motorcycle :-)

> I want to be (and I like to be) innovative in short.

And this!

> So, I think a freelance position suits much better to my personality.

If you are prepared for hard reality on that you may actually need to
establish some routines and working hours lest all you do is research :-)

> And after I settle down a few things in my life (which may take around
> two or so years), I may consider doing my own business.

IMHO, YMMV, IANAL, etc disclaimers: don't settle - jump :-)

> 1. What are the pros and cons of being a freelancer / small business
> owner (financially, time-scedule, stress and deadlines etc)

Financially it depends on your motivation etc. If you are ambitious and
appreciate spare cash (and if you are good - which is naturally a
prerequisite for the whole endeavour :-) the I believe you can be pretty
well off freelancing. But if you like more free time, doing research,
just contemplating, then your income will be of course lower. It's your
own choice. Freelancing is full of choosing (as you don't have the boss
there to choose for you :-)

Deadlines are there which ever way you work (there may be a slight
difference in the sound they make as they fly by :-)

Stress is different, because it's all your choices - you don't have that
stupid boss to blame.

> 2. What are the ways to advertise yourself on the net, so that people
> know that you are doing some good business at a reasonable price.

I get all my business through people I know, so all I can say it helps
to be lucky and know right people :-)

> 3. What is an average hourly rate for a freelance position

This depends soooo much on many things. If I was working in London I'd
charge maybe four times more than I do now - and in GBP...

But just yesterday I started thinking that when clients buy my services,
they don't just pay for the actual working hours I do for that project,
but also for my experience that I've gained over the years. No
conclusions yet though, other than that I'll be thinking over my pricing.

> 4. How the money transaction and agreements go back and forth internationally

Within EU money moves with IBAN and net banking. The other day I was
pondering using payPal for receiving payments, but haven't thought more
of that, as banks work so easily.

Turkey seems to belong to IBAN system also, for details
google.com/search?q=iban+turkey and your local bank.

> 5. How are the legal issues overcomed?

By a lawyer. Get one before you start. I didn't. Things would have been
easier if I had. S/he will help you make your contracts etc. in such
manner, that other services are probably not needed.

> 6. Is it a good decision to reduce the risk by starting up 2-3
> colleagues rather than taking my lance and fighting alone. (humm,

To reduce risk minimize cost. Work home if you can, don't get a big office.

In some projects I work with my freelancer friends, but we always remain
independent business units.

> that's why it's freelance, free - lance, never thought of it before).

Yep, we freelancing cyber cowboys are modern day mercenaries :-)

> 7. Anything else that I forgot?

Yep. Social life. It's good to meet another living person every now and
then :-)

And discipline. Bloody difficult to learn, but it's the only way to go far.

> Both your on-the-list and off-list responses are highly appreciated.

And if my answer raises questions not belonging to the list, I'll be
happy to reply off-list too.

wishing you best of luck (some of that is needed too :-)
.k