[thelist] DTS transfer from SQL Server into mySQL text field

Brian Cummiskey Brian at hondaswap.com
Thu Oct 27 10:24:38 CDT 2005

Mark Rees wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm using DTS with ODBC 3.51 to send data from MSSQL Server 2000 into mySQL.
> Everything is working fine, but I am struggling with mySQL destination
> fields of type text and mediumtext.
>
> Has anyone seen this behaviour before?

Hi Mark:

I think the problem you are having is between the limits on the fields.

mysql supports varchar up to 255, while mssql supports up to 8000.
if your mssql varchar field is bigger than 255, you need to send it to a
mysql field of text or mediumtext if you wish.

I think you understand that, and that's where you're having the problem.

Without actually seeing the data and fields, i can't really offer an
specific advise on how to fix the problem, but I have done this before
with no problems.