[thelist] Destroy and search

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Fri Oct 28 19:12:24 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 11:08 +0100, Chris Hayes wrote:
> Anybody have any ideas on this:
>
> I want to
>     receive some text data associated with a record
>     full-text index the data
>     destroy my copy of the text but leave the index intact.
>
> So that I can have people search for some text related to a record that no
> longer exists on my database.
>
> I want the index to remain intact with regular new content being added.
>
> Does that make sense? I hope so.
>
> If not, maybe the situation explained will make things clearer.  The client
> is happy for me to hold this data temporarily but not to retain it.  I want
> users to be able to search this data after it has gone.

I could be missing something here, but I don't think this is possible.
Either you have the data or you don't. I don't see how there's a middle
ground where you have just enough data for the users to search but not
enough to reconstruct the original.

Without knowing more about the exact circumstances and reasoning that
your client doesn't want you retaining the data, it's difficult if not
impossible to suggest ideas.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>