[thelist] what is chr(29)?

Paul Waring paul at xk7.net
Mon Oct 31 10:15:07 CST 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 10:06:38AM -0600, Casey wrote:
> Anyone know what chr(29) is?
>
> I'm trying to read someone else's code:
>
> sNewSub_Type = replace(sSub_Type, chr(29), ", ")
>
> In the string sSub_Type, all instances of chr(29) are being replaced with a
> ", " but what is chr(29)?

I don't know what language that is (looks a bit like Visual Basic but
I'd rather not remember what it was like to program in that) but at a
guess chr(x) will give you the character represented by x in ASCII. In
other words if you put x = 0 then you'll get the null character, 89 will
give you Y etc. 29 appears to be the group separator so I'm guessing
someone is converting a file from some internal format to comma
separated values (CSV) format.

http://www.asciitable.com/ might be useful also.

Paul

--