[thelist] Multilingual Sites: Best approach?

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Fri Nov 4 07:52:45 CST 2005

Dave Stevens wrote:
> Apologies, I'm hoping for a general opinion rather
> than a technical step by step so left it reasonably
> open - the site will have a lot of textual content,
> the organisation of the site will be the same
> throughout and simply the language of the content
> itself will change dependent on which has been
> selected.

Dave,

You might want to consider the HTTP 1.1 standard for content
negotiation.  If you're running apache, it's supported by default.
Details here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/content-negotiation.html

For static pages, just create each version as desired and include the
appropriate language suffixes.  For scripted content, use the mapping
file to substitute the URLs.

HTH,

Phil