[thelist] Who really turns off JavaScript?

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 10:25:23 CST 2005

I sometimes need to turn the js off, when the site owners/developers
restrict my interaction with the page and name it "security".

Here is a recent example:

I signed in to a site to buy stuff, there was a textarea to fill in
some details, but the site did not allow me to copy and paste stuff
into it. Moreover I was not able to cut, drag move what I had written.
Because they had overridden the default mousemove and mousedown
actions (which on a textarea will help select some portion of the text
by dragging it you know)

Anyway, I was on my stubborn day and continued my attempts. I could do
it without a mouse, I thought. By selecting the text by using
shift-right arrow combinations from keyboard. But whooops: it was
disabled as well. I cannot tell how annoying it was.

So I had only one choice left: Turn the ducking javascript off!

After I was done with that form page, I turned it back on.

And after all those hassle, I composed an angry feed-back message to
the site's admin (which I had to enter in a god damn textarea again -
js enabled again), asking him whether they have ever "heard about" the
terms usability, accessibility and interface design.

That is one reason, to give a name, user-unaware silly sites.

And the second reason, errm, I am one of those "developers doing stuff
that normal
people don't."

And one third reason, related to the second one; I sometimes turn it
off to bypass so called "security" restrictions (no I'm not a hacker -
but examining security flaws is a piece of my work).

Cheers,
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+>Yep! I'm blogging! : http://www.volkanozcelik.com/volkanozcelik/blog/