[thelist] Who really turns off JavaScript? .

Hal Smith hsmith at bpu.com
Fri Nov 4 11:51:49 CST 2005

Tom,
	Who really turns of JavaScript?  It is a vast federal
governmental conspiracy. <g>

	Really, you will find that users such as myself, hitting a site
from behind our corporate firewall, IDS, mandated group policy and such
will have *all* scripting turned off, JavaScript, Java, ActiveX, etc.
It practically takes a command from on high to get a work related
website added to our trusted sites list.  I am a developer, but my main
machine and account run as a low privilege XP SP2 user.  My Linux box
isn't much better off.
	The reason is a small thing called 9/11.......  For example, in
my day job, in the Electric Utility Industry, we fall under auspices of
the National Electric Reliability Council (NERC) http://www.nerc.com/
and the requirements for Critical Infrastructure Protection,
http://www.nerc.com/cip.html .........
	What it comes down to is this, If your organization is part of
the National Critical Infrastructure, and because you have allowed
malware into your organization, (for example via JavaScript) and said
malware takes down part of your infrastructure, you can be subjected to
sanctions which include bignum fines, and the like.  (You also might
have visits from Regulators, the FBI, DHS, and who knows what other 3-4
or more letter agencies...)

	So, if you are in an industry like mine, the Military, and the
like, JavaScript will be turned off for you by your employer.  Security
people are just doin' their job to keep us safe......

	-hal

Hal Smith, Systems Analyst
Spam and EMail User Administration
Database, Web, Middleware, Programmer Tools