[thelist] Form Handling Agony

alan herrell - the head lemur headlemur at lemurzone.com
Fri Nov 4 12:00:10 CST 2005

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
>    After a cursory glance, I would suggest replacing Chr(10)  with vbCrLf, which combines Chr(10) and Chr(13).

You are the man. That was the ticket!

This came about as a result of my  hosting company (Crystal
Tech)installing Service Pack 1 on the Windows 2003 boxes. For what ever
reason (and please note my lack of asp knowledge) the Chr(10) was the
culprit.
Peter's solution was the ticket.

I realize that the script is probably unnecessarily complicated, but it
has  its virtues.

The ability to take the form information and format it into the email,
in the *order specified* in the request page code,
[input type="hidden" name="order"
value="Email,Make,Year,Model,Bodystyle,Engine,Fueltype,Transmission,
Part_Requested,Addinfo,Vin,Name,Phone,Address,City,State,Zip,Country]

with the requester as the sender, making replying to sender as simple as
possible.(reply to sender)

It also allows for multiple BCC: recipients, which is vitally important
in reducing email spam harvesters, as well as creating a distribution
list without the overhead of creating a maillist.

It also will take the default -Select- option in the drop down dialog
boxes and pass it along. This has the virtue of allowing the members who
recieve the email to gauge the sincerity of the request.
an example would be an email where the select fields all return
'-select-' rather than containing useful information in order to process
these requests.

Finally it also allows to redirect to a thank you page, which gives the
visitor a clear indication that the form has been sent, and allow the
webmaster to be able to verify that the form is doing its job, by
checking the log files for the number of times that the thank you page
was called and checking that against the number of emails that show up.
These two number should be equal, and in the best of all possible worlds
  should increase to the point where the owner has to add staff to
handle the requests as well as increasing the shipping department.

--
alan herrell
the head lemur