[thelist] html mail dual content

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Fri Nov 4 12:11:38 CST 2005

Mike wrote:
> I would like to send some html email in both html format as well as
> using a method that sends plain text format as a fall-back format in
> case the recipient doesn't accept html mail. I am using the Mozilla
> suite on the mac version 1.3.1 on OS9.  <snip />
> Is there a manual way to do this or do I have to buy a mailign program?
> I would rather avoid buying another program if I don't need to - I don't
> usually send much email, especially html email.

AFAIK no commonly-available mail clients will allow separate edition of
the text/plain and html content.  Perhaps that's because it's a common
spam/phishing tactic to use different plain text and html.  That said,
and assuming your client is not looking to send out spam, there are some
free solutions available that will allow you to easily assemble a
multipart message with arbitrary HTML and plain text output.  PHP Mailer
[0] is one such that I like, others exist in your scripting language of
choice.

[0] http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/

--
Max Schwanekamp