[thelist] Who really turns off JavaScript?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 5 17:16:15 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 09:07 -0800, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
> Lynx...ok, same question... who is really using a Lynx viewer these
> days (other than us developers making sure our sites work in it)...
>
> I have not seen a Lynx UA in a web report in *years* - many years...

I use Lynx once in a while, and can speak from experience that there are
situations where it is the only browser available. There are also things
Lynx can do as a command-line tool (not an interactive curses-based
browser) that other tools either can't do or don't do as easily or
efficiently.

Remember, the User-Agent header can and often is stripped or modified
(using something like Privoxy, or even Lynx's built-in options), and
Lynx does not run Javascript so it will not be detected using
Javascript-based attempts either.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>