[thelist] backordering, domain transfer and other issues.

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Thu Nov 10 12:44:41 CST 2005

Message from =?ISO-8859-9?Q?VOLKAN_=D6Z=C7EL=DDK?= (11/10/2005 06:19 PM)

>Registrant:
><the developer guy.>

Although this is a bit after the fact, this article may be useful for
future reference:
http://www.keytlaw.com/urls/whocontrols.htm

Particularly, look about 14 paragraphs down, the one that starts,
"Whenever a person or entity other than the party that is the actual owner
of a domain name is named as the Registrant of the domain name..."

Also I wouldn't recommend the idea of letting the domain expire then
renewing as it'll probably be at least a month, and as much as 2+ months
before it becomes available again. You can google around for how it works,
it varies from registrar to registrar, but this article sums it up quite
nicely:
http://www.igoldrush.com/expired1.htm

I'm curious. Did the developer and the site owner part on bad terms? Is
that why he can't just contact him and ask him to transfer the domain? If
so remember there are two sides to every story - the site owner may not
have paid the developer, or some such, hence the breakdown in
communication. If that is the case, would you want to work with this person?

regards.
-marc