[thelist] Anyone have experience using Amaya on Linux?

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 05:49:35 CST 2005

> Just wondering whether anyone knows anything about
> this. I checked a website in Amaya
> (editor/browser/developing program) and it didn't
> display well (looks OK in IE and Firefox).

I don't know whether amaya is a WYSIWYG kind of editor. But from your
comments I deduce that it is.

WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors most of the time may
not render a page perfectly. As a general practice (though its
debatable) it is better to avoid WYSIWYG mode and use code view to
update the code and preview it with a real, live browser.

>Changing code (e.g. adding a <tr> to reposition
>something) had little or no effect.

my 2 cents here.

Do not use tr's to reposition something. Better use CSS if you are
designing something from scratch. If you inherit an archaic design
from a prior project then that's another story.

But even if that's the case, it will be a good practice to plan a
migration path from your old layout to a CSS-based layout.

> Is this program garbage or is it probably a corrupt
> copy or my system?

Well I have no idea since I have not used it at all. My favorite
markup editing software is "editplus". unbloated and to the point.

Although I don't want to say more on this issue. Else I will be
starting a never-ending holy war again :)

Cheers,
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+>Yep! I'm blogging! : http://www.volkanozcelik.com/volkanozcelik/blog/