[thelist] display="inline" and DTD HTML 4.01

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Tue Nov 22 15:11:40 CST 2005

super super scribeva in 2005-11-22 19:33:
> for some reason, after I declared DTD HTML 4.01, the display="inline" doesn't worked in firefox (worked in IE)

Actually it is not the style that is not working, it is the javascript:

> 		document.all("ob3").style.display="inline";

> If I pull off the DTD, it worked in both browser,

 From http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/faq.html#layoutmode

"Mozilla has two and a half layout modes: Quirks, Almost Standards and
Standards."
"The easiest way to activate the Quirks mode for HTML is to omit the
doctype declaration."
"... Quirks ... mimics some behaviors of legacy browsers "

And document.all is legacy stuff - use document.getElementById() instead.

.k