[thelist] what IS a webmaster??

bill bill at first-encounter-design.com
Tue Nov 22 23:35:41 CST 2005

Hi all,

I don't mean to open a can of worms here. I've been a volunteer web person
for a small non-profit for the past three years or so. In that capacity,
I've designed the site, planned, wrote and managed most of the copy,
continue to expand the functionality, written the plan, goals and vision for
the site, process and optimize images, in other words, the whole enchilada.
I'm what's known in the non-profit world (and maybe other places as well) as
an 'accidental techie,'  the person who had just enough more knowledge than
anyone else to take on technology tasks for an organization with no money
and no budget.

This is NOT a complaint; I've embraced the job, believe in the mission of
the group I work with and have learned - and continue to learn - lots
everyday.

Now I've been asked by the Board to write a job description for what they
call a 'webmaster.' I see a series of different jobs here, all of which need
job descriptions if and when they ever have money to hire for some of this
work.

Can some of you share with me what your idea of what a 'webmaster' is? And
in your capacity of managing or developing sites, what are the job titles
and what is the hierarchy of those positions? Secondly, is there stuff I can
read (preferably for free on the web) that can give me some insight about
how to approach this task of conveying what it is we all do?

Thanks so much for any and all help.
Bill Scheider