[thelist] Hosting at Home

Eduardo hut at hockeymail.com
Wed Nov 23 18:35:58 CST 2005

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html

"As mentioned before, XAMPP is not meant for production use but only for
developers in a development environment. The way XAMPP is configured is
to be open as possible and allowing the developer anything he/she wants.
For development environments this is great but in a production
environment it could be fatal.

Here a list of missing security in XAMPP:

   1. The MySQL administrator (root) has *no* password.
   2. The MySQL daemon is accessible via network.
   3. ProFTPD uses the password "lampp" for user "nobody".
   4. PhpMyAdmin is accessible via network.
   5. Examples are accessible via network.
   6. MySQL and Apache running under the same user (nobody).

To fix most of the security weaknesses simply call the following command:

/opt/lampp/lampp security

It starts a small security check and makes your XAMPP installation more
secure."