[thelist] design question, copyright, etc.

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Wed Nov 23 19:12:03 CST 2005

Message from Charles Stuart (11/23/2005 03:28 PM)

>I'm designing a website for a local UPS Store. I'm concerned about
>the legalities, etc. of creating a similar design to the corporate
>design. The local store of course wants a similar design. I would
>assume the UPS Store has a policy on this, however I've never been in
>this situation so I was wondering if anyone had any advise before
>proceeding.

Hi Charles,

It is possible that they may not have even considered the implications of
copyright. A good start would be to ask them to confirm from the head
office, or whatever, if it's permissible.

For officialness sake, you may want to ask them to produce a release
authorising them to use the corporate design. Or at the very least, to sign
a statement that they do indeed have these rights, and waiving any
liability on your part should this statement turn out to be false.

regards.
-marc