[thelist] a good DOM menu javascript?

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Thu Nov 24 13:54:54 CST 2005

On 24 Nov 2005 at 16:43, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
[...]
> to be 200 users online). And I don't need the damn stupid base support of IE
> 4. Every user are using Fx (because this is an in-company webapp, and
> as the administrator I can easily change all staff to be Fx users, and
> I already have done so). It simply needs to be Fx compatible.
[...]

so, does Fx mean Firefox?

[...]
> Extra features I need is:
> * no-limit cascating level (menus are 3 or 4 levels deep);
> * no need for fancy decoration (make no mistake: this /is/ a feature), just
> need to be fast (this means if the js menu is poped up using <select> then
> it's still okay)
> * submenu itself clickable (some menus only allow menu items to be
> clickable)
> * allows a lot of menu items (e.g. when there are 60 menu items, the user
> don't need to buy a 30'inch tall display to be able to select the last one.
> Again, simply <select> fits in this case for it's scrolling ability)
[...]

ok, i don't know what you mean by "submenu itself clickable," but i'm
assuming you mean you want all the items clickable...

and as for a "lot of menu items," you may be limited regardless of
the method you use -- unless you use a <select> (which, IMO, is
generally a bad idea)...

have you considered the Suckerfish menus? they work using CSS in
Firefox, and have only a little JS to allow them to work in IE... and
with some tweaking, they can also be very accessible and styled to
look as you wish...

feel free to filch the example on the following page, which also
describes the enhancements i've made for accessibility:
http://algonquinstudios.com/Home/Accessibility/

the original Suckerfish menus are at:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns

although even that article has been amended with further enhancements
over time...

and rendering speed isn't an issue for me in Firefox, at least not
yet...