[thelist] a good DOM menu javascript?

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 16:45:17 CST 2005

+1 for udmenu.

It is quite adjustable to suit your needs. Moreover, it is
decent-looking and standards-compatible.

Some time ago I have developed an -imho- accessible dropdown menu
with timeouts between menu transitions to care for people who do not
have enough motor skill or hand eye coordination:

Because pure css menus disappear whenever your mouse pointer goes out
of scope, they are stateless/memoriless. They me be a real pain for
people with motor disabilities.

There are certain implementations to take care of this issue:
Like putting buffer regions around menu elements so that when the
pointer goes accidentially out of scope the menu does not close

One link is worth a thousand words:

http://www.positioniseverything.net/css-dropdowns-red.html

)

When it comes to my -humble- menu with timeouts. imho, it requires
major adjustements to be used as a plug and play component. I have not
created it as a standalone module. Nor have I written it as a
competitor to its counterparts.

Anyway here goes the link:

http://www.sarmal.com/sardalya/testcase/DropDownMenu_Test.html

pros:
- it is unobtrusive (no inline js)
- semi-accessible (does not degrade nicely when js-disabled but it
degrades to a certain extent.
- adjustable timeout between menu transitions.
- formats and unordered list (ul) into a menu so no old-school tables
in the layout.
- works properly in all modern (dom-supporting) browsers.
- js side is written oo-ish and code is properly encapsulated.

cons:
- somewhat complex to be adapted as a standalone module.
- relies on javascript (too much) to function properly.
- not ready for a production environment yet.

I plan to transform it to something far better. However it is not
quite on top of my todo list.  It was just done for fun. (if only one
day was 36 hours instead of 24 then everthing would be fine -- I am in
such a rush that I cannot find adequate time for anything :) ).

* * *

Needless to say you may want to give a try to Christian's YADM
(http://www.onlinetools.org/tools/yadm/)
or suckerfish (http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/)

I am really amazed how you have not coincided the two menus while googling.

Cheers,
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+>Yep! I'm blogging! : http://www.volkanozcelik.com/volkanozcelik/blog/