[thelist] PHP help needed

Scott DeMers demerss1 at msu.edu
Mon Nov 28 19:47:41 CST 2005

You're on the right track, it seems. The image source name is nothing
but a string, so you should be able to concatenate any number of
variables to any number of static strings. The proper way (although
you can cheat in PHP) is something like the following:

1. $username = $_POST['username'];
// if you do it this way, be sue the login form uses POST as the action

2. $image_src =  "<image src="images/' . $username . '" />";
// the dots are what do the concatenating. Notice I used single
quotes on the outside of each dot. This is so as not to interfere
with the double quotes which are part of the HTML. If my HTML uses
single quotes, then I  concatenate with double quotes.

3. echo $image_src;
//if my user name is Bob, then  <image src="images/Bob" /> is what
should be the final product.

If this seems confusing, read up on strings and variables here:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/

hope this helps.

Scott