[thelist] Flash - what happens it plugin not installed?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Nov 29 18:38:27 CST 2005

Tim Burgan wrote:
> If a user comes to my site that requires Flash 8, what happens if they
> have Flash 6 or 7?

A lot depends on their browser. IE/Win offers auto-update for ActiveX
Controls.

You can check the Player version running from any SWF under ActionScript
control too... see "getVersion()" in the docs.

I'd strongly recommend the 8.0 Player for security reasons. (The 7.x
versions were updated for antique operating systems which cannot use the
current Player.)

Macromedia Flash Player 8 was released to the general public at the end
of August, and the number of successful installations has already
surpassed Firefox and Windows XP SP2... fastest adoption rate yet.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Macromedia Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd