[thelist] trying to remove default charset from mysql dump

Sarah Adams mrsanders at designshift.com
Fri Dec 2 11:16:48 CST 2005

I'm trying to copy the database from my client's server to my
development machine. But when I run mysqldump, the CREATE TABLE
statements come out like this:

   DROP TABLE IF EXISTS Users;
   CREATE TABLE Users(
   ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

I get the following error when I try to import the data into my
development database:

   ERROR 1064 at line 12: You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check
   the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right
   syntax to use near 'DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1' at line 10

I could edit the text file to manually remove all instances of this, but
the database is huge, and trying to open the dump file in my text editor
just causes the text editor to freeze. Any suggestions as to how to run
the dump without getting "DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1" in the output?

--
sarah adams
web developer & programmer