[thelist] need references on good web design and usability

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 09:45:54 CST 2005

> I'm going to point her to the HTML and CSS tutorials at www.htmldog.com,
> cause I think they look pretty good. Now what I really need are some
> basic articles/tutorials on good web design and usability. Everything I
> have bookmarked is for a more advanced developer - any suggestions for
> something basic, and "short, sweet, and to-the-point"?

I think the issue here is rooted deeper. Talking about clean HTML is
like telling someone like that to use unleaded petrol in their SUV
when running over pedestrians.

Some good books/resources on how to tell the "blissfully unaware":

- "Don't make me think"  by Steve Krug
- "Son of webpages that suck" by Vincent Flanders

The latter also has a great checklist of the worst errors that is much
more enjoyable than any evangelism on usability Nielsen ever came up
with:
http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/biggest-web-design-mistakes-in-2004.html

I've written some stuff on what is not clever to use in post-2000 on
your web site:
http://icant.co.uk/articles/website_knick_knack.html
http://icant.co.uk/articles/more_website_knick_knack.html

and what you should do before you even plunge into the HTML:
http://evolt.org/node/60295
http://evolt.org/The_best_web_development_tool_ever
http://evolt.org/navigation

HTH