[thelist] CSS 0px image replacement

Gunlaug Sørtun gunlaugs at c2i.net
Mon Dec 5 18:57:33 CST 2005

Danny King wrote:
> Rather than shoving the text off the screen with a huge negative
> indent, the text size was set to 0 (and a background image loaded in
> for the div). This seemed a neater (and nicer) way of doing things.
>
> I was wondering if screen readers actually read text with a size of
> 0? Are there any issues with this sort of image replacement?

Don't think screen readers will have problems, but 'font-size: 0;' is
unreliable everywhere else.

All browsers have ways to override font-size, so in mine it will come
out as visible text at 14 or 16px, no matter how low it is defined - as
long as it is on screen.
My browsers are: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari and iCab ATM,
which in practical terms makes font-size trickery useless for IR.

I don't know if there are any IR methods without issues in some
circumstances (and I don't use any IR). I did find some of the
javascript-based ideas somewhat interesting though.
Maybe this <http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/fir.html> isn't too bad, and
there's some useful info there anyway.

regards
	Georg