[thelist] 301 Redirects OK with Firefox, not OK in IE

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Thu Dec 8 13:20:13 CST 2005

jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com wrote:

> Next, I tried to use an .htaccess file to redirect
> "charlestonwebsolutions.com" to "www.charlestonwebsolutions.com"
>
> I added the following to a text file�
> Redirect permanent / http://www.charlestonwebsolutions.com
>
> �and saved it out as ".htaccess"  I then uploaded the .htaccess file to
> the root directory of my server using Dreamweaver's FTP.  When I loaded up
> "charlestonwebsolutions.com" in Firefox, I was relieved to see the URL
> load as "www.charlestonwebsolutions.com"  BUT, in Internet Explorer, when
> I tried to go to "charlestonwebsolutions.com" IE just sat there and spun
> for about a minute, until it eventually returned a "You are not allowed to
> access this page" error.

I usually test stuff like this out using curl like so:

curl -I http://charlestonwebsolutions.com/

which will show you the headers the server is sending. I go with this
over the behavior of the browser for what is 'correct' as far as http.

Sadly, the browsers *should* do the right thing, but don't always. I've
seen too many funky thing with www versus no-www in Win/IE.

Pete