[thelist] 401.3 - Unauthorized due to ACL on resource

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Dec 12 18:56:34 CST 2005

Hi,

ACL = Access Control List. Consists of ACEs (Access Control Entries). An ACE
lists a user or group, and the corresponding permissions that the user or
group has on the file or folder.

If you right-click on any file/folder in Explorer, and choose Properties ->
Security, you can view the Access Control List (ACL) for the resource in
question.

By default, newly created files will inherit the ACL of the parent folder.
So, it appears that the ACL on the parent folder was changed to deny access
to whatever user account you are using to access these files, and this ACL is
propogating to newly created files in that folder.

I would right-click on the root folder of your website. Ensure that the
IIS_WPG group has Read (RX) permissions on that folder. Under the Advanced
button, there is an option to propogate these permissions to all subfolders
and files.

Alterantively, view the ACL of a file that you do have access to, and
replicate that setting at the root folder level, and propogate to all
subfolders/files.

Cheers
Ken