[thelist] ASP file not working

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Dec 14 03:31:18 CST 2005

I don't know how the Sun Javascript interpreter implements its template
caching (or even if it does at all). It is possible to generate an error like
this with IIS/ASP: when the page is first requested, the scripting engine
actually "pseudo-compiles" the page, leading to subsequently better
performance for future requests. If something goes wrong during this
compilation process, then the compiled template is corrupt, and you get
errors like you're getting at the moment - namely some kind of compilation
error even though the source file looks just fine. Generally opening the
file, making some trivial change (add/remove a space) and saving the file
would trigger a file-change notification from Windows -> IIS and cause the
previously cached template to be invalidated. Recompilation for the next
request fixes the issue. I've only ever seen this a handful of times though,
and have no idea whether it's even applicable to your setup.

Cheers
Ken

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Maisha Walker
: Sent: Wednesday, 14 December 2005 8:07 PM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: Re: [thelist] ASP file not working
:
: Hi Ken,
:
: Yes - I saw that the error page indicated an error in line one, but
: couldn't
: find any missing braces - plus this really is *exactly* the same file as
: the
: other one, so if the brace was missing in one it should be in the other
: one
: too.  I looked at both files and couldn't find a brace missing in either.
:
: Changing it to a text file to confirm the whole file uploaded is a neat
: idea
: - thank you.
:
: I just tried that and the whole file does seem to be there.  I even tried
: leaving the text file as 1 row and going to column 630.  Nothing
: interesting.
:
: But the problem seems to be more about if two files are exactly the same,
: why might one work and the other not?  I thought permissions, but I
: checked
: and they seem to be the same.  Then I thought upload problems?  But using
: your text file suggestion I've confirmed that the whole file does seem to
: be
: there.
:
: I'm stumpped!