[thelist] Retrieving OLE File from Access DB with Classic ASP

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 03:57:00 CST 2005

Chris Dempsey wrote:

> I have written code to take a PDF file and insert it into an Access
> Database field via a form and file upload script.  Unfortunately I’m
> struggling to get it back out.

Why are you storing the file in the database? Your Access file is going
to end up the size of a cow.

Why not upload the file to a folder, and store only the filename in the DB?

If the concern is unauthorised downloading of the file, it should be
possible to upload the file to a folder outside of the web root, and
provide an ASP-based means to download it for an authenticated user.

I haven't done this, but believe it to be possible - can anyone confirm?
I'm going to be building something similar soon.

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net BETA - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets online
http://snippetz.net