[thelist] Site Check - add content?

Tony Crockford boldfish at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 14:23:50 CST 2005

On 12/19/05, Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net> wrote:
> Tony Crockford wrote:

> > > R E S P E C T. 'body {font-size: small;} is not respect.
>
> > could you explain that?
>
> > not sure I understand what you're saying?
>
> Most people accessing the web are using Personal Computers. Personal
> Computers are designed and  intended to be personalizable to meet the
> particular needs of the user. In particular, this includes the size of
> text on the screen, and more particularly, on web pages. You are
> arbitrarily reducing the size of text on your page without regard to
> what size the user prefers or needs. Repect means not doing that,
> accepting that whatever the user has chosen for default/preferences is
> correct for that user. See
> http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/defaultsize.html and
> http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/accessibility.html .

yes, but choosing a keyword for a default doesn't prevent text being
set by the user, but it does stop IE from doing ridiculously small
font sizes when the user chooses small.

Up until recently I was using body{font-size: 100.01%} and em sizing
anywhere else.

the body set with keyword and container to font-size:100% is a
technique suggested by Dan Cederholm for bullet-proof font-sizing.

It's ironic that the link you send me to sets font-sizes on paragraphs
to medium...

;o)