[thelist] flash or DHTML for slide show ? was basic flashtutorial (for photo "slideshow")

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Mon Dec 19 17:54:13 CST 2005

Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> Really, either is fine if you have alternative content for when Flash or
> Javascript (respectively) are unavailable. However, it's probably easier
> to make a Javascript version which gracefully transforms than a Flash
> version, as for the latter I think you would have to translate the
> entire Flash movie content back into an HTML version (which Macromedia
> may have purposefully made difficult to do).

Most SWF slideshow implementations use external linked images, rather
than embed all the JPGs in the SWF.

> Another reason to go the Javascript route is it's based on an open
> standard (from ECMA) while Flash is not.

ECCMAScript has smaller scope than Flash... JavaScript and ActionScript
are both implementations of ECMAScript, while the Macromedia Flash
Player also includes rendering and multimedia support, in addition to
its logic engine.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd