[thelist] Authorize.net and AVS

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Tue Dec 20 16:59:28 CST 2005

Hershel Robinson wrote:
> Our estore goes live tomorrow morning (including a major advertising
> campaign in print hitting the newsstands tomorrow). The xcart install
> using authorize.net for a gateway works with US credit cards. We tried a
> Canadian one and it failed. authorize.net had this to say: <snip />
> Are we thus left with no choice but to disable AVS security? In reality,
> I think many sites with which I am familiar do not confirm my billing
> address that it matches that which is on record with my credit card company.

You can disable AVS for international customers.  In the AVS section in
Authorize.Net settings, in the first "Reject if..." block, uncheck "Non
US Card Issuing Bank" and uncheck "AVS is not supported."
Alternatively, you can disable AVS entirely, and use AuthNet's
anti-fraud services (they have two packages) and/or CVN (Card
Verification Number).  Keep in mind though, that disabling AVS may be a
violation of your [client's] merchant account agreement.

--
Max Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/