[thelist] Exact Printing of Sites (long-ish)

Sherri Fleming creativeswirl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 14:32:34 CST 2005

My prior employment I was asked to make everything printable as the target
audience for the web based application (it created student reports) is
teachers (K-12). BTW teachers tend to want to print EVERYTHING. In their
line of work everything is on paper.

I found that the variables between operating systems and the various
browsers and the default page margins etc meant that pages had to be very
narrow. Additionally if a table spanned across pages, depending upon the
content of the table, rows of information would be lost. It just would not
print a row or two and start again after them so even tables are not perfect
for printing.

Additionally some browsers will print certain things and others will not.
Also almost all browsers have by default the print background colors turned
off so as to help people save ink. You cannot force that option to be turned
on. Thus there is absolutely no way to force pages to print exactly like the
screen unless you can use scripting that will produce PDFs of the page on
the fly and that PDF then be printed.

I struggled frequently with the print issue and found the best you can do is
to just make all of the information needed be printable but never expect it
to print exactly. It is not possible. At least it is not possible until all
browsers produce the exact same results using the exact same code. I would
not hold my breath.

Sherri